Our 7th Heaven




Thursday, April 2, 2009

Free to be Me-Parker

Since coming home 7 months ago it has definitely been a world wind roller coaster for Parker but his ability to adjust continues to astonish me. Right off the plane he came open arms and open heart to his siblings and them to him as well. It has really been nothing short of a miracle to witness such instant love and acceptance. I give thanks everyday for God's grace over all of us and this life altering transition.
We were told by so many how difficult and how much trouble it would be to adopt an older child. That his might have a lot of "issues", but we have not seen any such "issues". He is a happy go lucky, well adjusted 9 year old boy. His smile is the real deal and it is so contagious!! To be around him you can't help but laugh, usually because he is always putting on some sort of show for us all.
The biggest part of the adjustment for him was his admitting he was from ET. After reading many books on adoption I knew to expect it, but to watch it in person was very heart breaking at times. He simply had to set his memory of ET , everyone and everything he loved out of his mind while he adjusted to his new life. So when asked by anyone "where are you from" he would reply "Texas!" We would try to ask questions about ET and he would simply turn away and say he didn't remember.
Within the last couple of weeks he has opened up about his life back in ET, which has brought us all so much joy. It is as if he finally trusts us enough to let us into the secret places of his heart. And since we are all family it is as if we are learning a part of our life as well. At first it was just a comment here and there about food, nothing to do with people. Then by last week he began to tell us stories of his life, where he lived, how he lived, the things he did. The biggest break through came last weekend when he opened up to me about his mother. We were talking about how big he had gotten since coming here and he looked at me and said" my ET mom, she small like you mommy". He went on to tell me she was very pretty, but wasn't a good cook. In fact they ate out most of the time or he would eat at his neighbors house a lot. He said she was very sweet and he loved her a lot. Not wanting to shut him down, I didn't ask him a thing I simply let him tell me as much as he wanted. It was everything in my power not to ask a million questions or not to break down and hug him tight. I can't wait for the next treasured memory he will reveal to us.
It brings me so much joy to see him not only happy to be the Texas Parker, but also free and proud to be Sofonyas from Ethiopia.
Thank you Father God protecting Parker's tender precious heart and allowing us into that special place. Father I am so grateful, thankful everyday for this fairy tale dream come true and for all the priceless joy and memories that come with it!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

OK, I want to cry! Precious moments Chris! I just can't wait to see you all in July! ((hugs))

Cristie said...

Chris
I love this! Parker is such a blessing .. as is his baby sister and the amazing 3 Mott's who welcomed them with their arms wide open too! To watch your boys run and play the other night was fun! Parker, Reagan and Blake have such a fantastic connection ... and well, Parker has the most amazing and contagious SMILE! He makes it easy as do all your sweet spirited children!
It has been really fun to get to be with you guys lately. Canyon adores your boys, Dakota was THRILLED to play with Caitlyn and I could absolutely eat up that scrumptious Helena! The Lord has more nuggets in store for you as Parker shares his story. I love how delicately you've allowed it to be his story .. his to share ... on his timing!
HUGS!

Jenn said...

It was great getting to meet you last week! What a beautiful family you have!! What an amazing miracle and blessing your Parker is! I hope to get to know him and your family more!

Hugs and Blessings to you!
Jenn

ellerbee eight said...

It's so great to hear that you haven't had any problems. We are a work in progress I guess... still struggling with who we are and where we fit in. I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. Congrats!