Our 7th Heaven




Friday, December 12, 2008

What happens in the potty stays in the potty!

It's potty time!!! I know I must sound crazy but I am really happy that Helena was not potty trained like we thought. This gives me the privilege of being part one of life's biggest milestones.
I have been trying to get her to go pee pee on the potty for the last month or so. Most days we are successful. She is far from potty trained but it is a step in the right direction. Since we brought her home she has without fail gone number 2 while she sleeps making this a bit of a problem in our training process. After discussing this with many mommies we all believe that she is the most relaxed during her sleeping allowing her body to do it's thing. It's not pretty but it's a reality.
Well yesterday morning as I put her precious tush on the potty as usual, she sat there for a minute and then got this very peculiar look on her face. Not one I had ever seen before. The next thing I know she is jumping off the potty and putting her face down into the bowl and then looking to me screeching something at me (maybe baby Amharic for what the heck is this mommy?) Once I looked into the magic bowl I realized what had happened and couldn't help but laugh and cry tears of joy. All I could think is there is a light at the end of the tunnel for our previous potty challenge.
I proceeded to cheer her for being such a big girl and dance around the bathroom with her. The whole time I am thrilled by the event Helena on the other hand is still very distressed by it. I guess I should have taken her emotion a little more serious because before I knew it she was back at the magic bowl trying to retrieve what she had just lost. I didn't realize since she had never been conscience for this event before she might be upset by it. I had heard of children crying about this before but I had never seen it with my own two eyes until yesterday.
Needless to say, the rest of yesterday and today she has been very apprehensive to go near the bathroom. I am not worried though, I have never met an adult who was not potty trained.

No comments: