Our 7th Heaven




Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Easter is for the Easter Bunny?







Note the facial expression below, no we did not eat pickles, but I mistakingly told the kids to say "Happy Easter" as uncle Tye snapped the picture.













That is what one child said when asked why we celebrate Easter at church Easter morning. Thankfully it was not my child. Not that they haven't had their glorious moments but this wasn't it. It is difficult for me to not get the kids so caught up in the Secular aspect of the Resurrection Sunday when everyone and everything around them screams Easter Bunny, candy, and more toys.
Each year gets more enjoyable for the kids are getting older and understanding more the true meaning of Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. This year we celebrated Good Friday with Blake choosing his favorite gospel and then reading it to all of us before we took communion. As Blake read the passages I could see all of the kids (except Helena of course who's eye's were locked in on the piece of bread laid before her) processing the words they heard. After Blake read, I had each one tell me what the passage meant to them. I was so impressed with each one of their answers. They GOT IT, the idea that Jesus died for us so that we could be forgiven of our past, present and future sins and so we could be reconnected by the Father. We then took communion which I always love and wonder just what is going on inside those minds as we have our moment to pray quietly. Are they really praying or are they just thinking about their day, what goodies they are going to get on Sunday or what their favorite super hero is. We followed with watching the movie "Faith Like Potatoes", which is really a great christian movie about living by faith and giving it all to God, including laying down our burdens and trusting in our heavenly Father to see us through.
Sunday was filled with great moments both taking in the joy of the resurrection at our church service and by the family fun afterwards. Watching Parker and Helena this year decorating eggs and during the Easter egg hunt was great, not a surprise coming from those two smartie pants. They were all too funny and way too cute. Each one having a different color egg to look for. For the boys they were blue and green camo. Parker had the blue, which stood out making it easy for him to find. Reagan's on the other hand were green and they blended in with all the various shades of green foliage around the yard. We all had a to laugh watching Reagan look again and again, and again to find them. He was a pretty good sport but he has already requested that they trade colors next year. Blake yet still a kid at heart chose to be Greg's assistant in putting them throughout the yard. Boy it seems like just yesterday he was gathering little plastic eggs with his little wicker basket himself. Every day I am amazed at how quickly they are growing (physically, mentally and spiritually). I makes me wish I had a time machine to slow things down.
This last year has flown by, each day seeming to go faster than the one before, but every one a blessing filled with it's own wonder.
Father God I am so thankful for your ultimate sacrifice and for loving us so faithfully and unconditionally. Father, I pray that you continue to watch over us, protect us in body, mind and soul. Father, let us seek you in all ways and keep you close to our hearts. Let us remember your sacrifice and find ways to be the hands and feet and help those in need that are brought in our path. It's in your precious name I pray, AMEN.

No comments: