
Last week we were blessed to have a fellow Hope family, the Wilkinson's visit from Dallas. Their son, Benjamin, formally Minte, is one of Sof's closest buddies from ET. Sof was so excited the whole week knowing that he was going to see his friend. Then within 2 hours from their arrival, he shut down. Sof went from being excited to not talking and eventually went to his room saying he did not want to see his good friend. I was blown away. So I called Ben's mom Jaclyn to tell her of our situation so she could prepare him. When they arrived, I told Ben that Sof was in his room and he was sad. I told him I thought he was mad at me, and asked him if he wanted to go with me to see him. So Ben and I went up to Sof's room where Sof was laying stolic on his bed. As Ben reached down touching Sof's cheek with his hand, tears started rolling down Sof's face. At that moment I realized just how much Sof has had to go through emotionally through his life and how strong he has had to be. It broke my heart to think of how many times he has had to say good bye to people he loved and that his was a little too much for his heart to take. They try so hard to put Ethiopia in their past when they come, only focusing on transforming themselves into American's as fast as they can. And for him to see a part of Ethiopia in America was more than he could handle. Within seconds Sof and Ben were embrassing and laughing the sadness was gone.I am so grateful for God placing Sof and Ben so close to eachother. Knowing that they will have the opportunity to see eachother often is a very good thing. We had a wonderful visit! They are such a great family. Reagan and their son Aiden even hit it off. I can't wait to see them again.
Thank you Jesus for that sweet moment and for allowing me to through the tough exterior of our precious son Sof to his tender wounded heart. Father God I pray that you continue to free him from his pain and use me a vessel of your love and healing as his mother.



3 comments:
Oh, this post just broke my heart. And at the same time, I am so thankful that he has a friend from ET that is so close. They are going to have a lot to talk about as they grow up. I can just see them in the future, having words for their emotions and losses and sharing them with each other in ways only the 2 of them will be able to. Okay - gotta get some tissue...
cindy
I finally got a moment to catch up on blogs. I guess I checked yours the day before you posted this and haven't been back since.
Sometimes we forget the things that our kids have gone through because they are so busy acting out. It takes great insight to step back and realize that they are acting out their pain.
We had a great time with you guys too. Looking forward to doing it again soon!
Oh Chris, this one got me good! Sofonya's and that smile make you soon forget all the pain that must be hidden beneath his radiance. I pray that the Lord would show him the freedom that he gives us ... and sweet Sofonya's. I cannot wait to meet both of your beautiful children in person. I am ready whenever you are to get together ... you tell me when and I'M THERE!
I have so many questions, so much to ask and I know you have SO MUCH to share! You are blessed my friend, you are BLESSED!
Post a Comment